Menu Close

TLILIC0005 Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more)

Our expert trainers can assist you or your team in gaining the skills needed to operate a variety of common and vital industrial machines, including elevating work platforms (EWPs)

Working on EWPs is considered a high-risk occupation and can lead to serious injury if the equipment is improperly used. This is why thorough, accredited training is required to protect worker safety and the safety of others. 

Our training course caters for EWPs under 11m in height and boom-type EWPs over 11m in height. Like our forklift licensing courses, successful completion of EWP training allows students to apply for a nationally recognised work licence from SafeWork NSW.

About this course

This course provides participants the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a boom-type Elevating Work Platform (EWP) where the length of the boom is 11 metres or more in accordance with all relevant legislative requirements. Competence in this unit, does not in itself result in a High Risk Work Licence to operate this plant.

Boom-type elevating work platform means a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device, or any combination of these, used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated.

Duration: 2 days of training + 1 day of assessment (24 hours)

Student/Trainer Ratio: 8:1

Course Objectives and content

  • Planning of work
  • Conducting routine checks on an EWP
  • Set up of an EWP
  • Operation of an EWP
  • Safely shutting down and secure EWP
RIIWHS204D Work Safely at Heights

Qualifications for successful participants

Statement of Attainment in:

TLILIC0005 Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11m or more)

Once the SafeWork NSW assessment has been successfully completed, you will receive a SafeWork NSW Notice of Satisfactory Assessment (NSA) which is valid for 60 days. A licence application fee is payable to Australia Post for the licence card which is issued by SafeWork NSW and is nationally recognised. The licence will need to be renewed with SafeWork NSW every five(5) years.

Additional course information

Prerequisites & Entry Requirements

There are no prerequisites for this course.
Participants must reside in NSW, be 18 years or older and be able to provide 100 points of ID at the time of assessment.
Participants must be able to complete the assessment in the English language.
All students must be eligible to receive nationally recognised training within Australia and provide a valid Unique Student Identifier (USI) upon enrolment.

Who should attend?

Any person who in their workplace may be required to obtain their High-Risk Work Licence for the safe operations of a Boom type Elevated Work Platform Greater than 11M in their workplace. It is recommended that participants have year 10 level reading and writing capabilities.

Can overseas visitors complete this training course?

This will depend on the type of visa that you have.

For example restrictions apply to international visitors who hold a Student Visa. Any course undertaken by a Student Visa holder must be conducted by a provider who is registered on CRICOS. As Elbon Consulting Services Pty Ltd is not CRICOS approved we are unable to accept enrolments into any of our courses from any international visitor that holds a Student Visa.

International visitors who hold a Working Holiday Visa may be eligible to enrol into our courses once they arrive in Australia. This is important as some occupations in Australia will have legislative and/or licencing requirements relating to qualifications. International visitors will still be required to provide a valid USI (Unique Student Identifier) prior to enrolling into any Nationally Recognised Training. When registering for your USI number if you select Non-Australian Passport (with Australian Visa) as your form of ID, you will need to enter your Non-Australian passport number when creating your USI. The following details on the passport must match in order to verify in the USI registry system:

  • Family Name
  • Given Name(s)
  • Date of Birth
  • Passport Number
  • Country of Passport

Students from New Zealand will not be able to create a USI using their New Zealand passport until your passport has been registered with the Australian Department of Immigration. This will only happen when the student crosses the border into Australia. Once the passport is registered with the Department of Immigration it can be verified and the student will be able to create a USI using their New Zealand passport.

If you are an International Visitor, you will need to provide a copy of your Visa and/or Passport by emailing Your Visa details will be verified for eligibility to participate in accredited training within Australia. If you are ineligible, a full refund of fees paid will be provided.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Recognition of prior learning and/or credit transfer is not offered for this course as it is expected that all participants will be new entrants to this course of study.

Learner support

We may be able to provide you with learning support. If you think you may need assistance with reading and/or writing, please contact our office to discuss how we may be able to assist.

Course Fees

For more information and an obligation free quote please call our office on 1300 884 978. Group discounts may apply. Please also refer to the Payment Terms and Conditions available on our website and in the Student Handbook.

What do I bring?

All necessary equipment and learning materials will be provided. Light refreshments will be provided for training completed at our training facilities. Please wear comfortable clothing and enclosed footwear.

Where can I train?

Training can be conducted in one of our dedicated state-of-the-art training facilities or be conducted on your site.

TLILIC0005 Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more) FAQs

Why should I choose Height Safety Engineers over another provider?

Good question! There are many providers out there that can provide you with the EWP training that you or your team needs. However not all competencies are created equal.

At HSE, we go beyond the basics.

There are a range of other courses out there at the moment offering the same certification, but in less time or without going into the best amount of detail. Ultimately, this means you or your team will end up with fewer skills.

We give you real practice scenarios using real equipment.

Our trainers are all highly qualified with years of industry experience.

Our instructors are the best in the industry. Together they bring over 100 years of combined experience into every class they teach.

We re-train all our instructors on a regular basis. This ensures their skills and knowledge of latest industry trends is ahead of everyone else. Our aim is to have a consistent approach to our courses, with ongoing improvement always front of mind.

Ready to enrol your team in our TLILIC0005 Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more) course?

Simply click the button above. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 1300 884 978, we’d be happy to provide you with any more information that you might need.